Almost to the half-way point of my weight loss goal. This week I have surprised myself with how well I can eat within my calorie range. During the summer months this is pretty easy – so much glorious produce (which, by the way, I plan to can over the next few weeks). Anyone who complains about their diet being one of denial and starvation is doing it wrong. 🙂
Grilled Peaches topped with vanilla ice cream is ridiculously easy to make and so delicious you will not believe they fit into your eating plan. This runs about 150 calories for one serving but, honestly, 1/2 a serving is plenty for me.
- The freshest, organic (and local if you can find them) peaches – you want them at the stage right before they are perfectly ripe (so that there’s a little give to the flesh when pressed but still a bit of firmness)
- Homemade vanilla ice cream or your favorite store bought brand – if you’re vegan, then you already know there’s great options for you ;>
- Organic Cinnamon
- Pre-heat your grill – if you use charcoal the coals need to be at the white ash stage – if you don’t have a grill, use a cast iron grill pan and pre-heat.
- Wash peaches and dry. Cut in half and take out the pit. Scrape the area where the pit was with a spoon to scoop out that pity part of the peach.
- Sprinkle, with a VERY light hand, cinnamon, over the cut side.
- Place on grill, cut side down. You may need to use some kind of oil on your grill pan (coconut or grapeseed would be good) – I didn’t use any on my grill.
- Let cook for a good 3-4 mins. Just keep an eye on them. You don’t want the heat so high that they burn but you don’t want it so low that it just cooks away the juices. The idea is to carmelize the sugars a little bit. Flip the peaches onto the skin side and let cook another 3-4 mins. Note how peach juice pools at the center of the peach?
- When the peaches are ready to pull off the grill, pick them up with tongs and if possible pour the remaining peach juice into a tiny ramekin and place the peaches on a platter to rest for a few minutes.
- If you don’t like the skin on, it’s easily peeled off. Though I prefer to plate them as a whole half peach, they are a lot easier to eat if you cut into bite size pieces.
- Top each half with 1 tablespoon of vanilla ice cream and drizzle a bit of the reserved peach juice over the ice cream. Serve immediately after topping with ice cream (it’s going to melt fast!).
Swoon with each delicious bite. 🙂
Each peach half with 1 tbsp ice cream runs about 75 calories (depending on what kind of ice cream you use).
- They are delicious without any topping.
- You could chop up a few candied pecans and sprinkle over the top of the ice cream.
- Jillian Michaels has a great recipe for Quinoa Crunch that would be so good sprinkled on this.
- Add a spring of fresh mint or stevia for presentation.